Monday, January 23, 2012

Awesome Soup


In my attempt to get "back on the wagon" I was watching Hungry Girl the other day. She shared a soup recipe that was so easy I had to try it. I've made it twice and it is really yummy. So I'll share it with you. (You can find her recipe on her website here)

1 1/2 lbs. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breasts, halved
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 small onion, finely diced
2 carrots, chopped
2 cups dry coleslaw mix
Two 14.5-oz. cans (about 3 1/2 cups) fat-free chicken broth (or one carton)
One 15-oz. can cannellini (white kidney) beans, drained and rinsed
One 14.5-oz. can stewed tomatoes (not drained)
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 tsp. fresh thyme
1 bay leaf

Okay, you seriously just dump all this stuff in a crock pot and cook it on high from 4 to 6 hours. She has a fancy crock-pot that works in 4 hours, mine, on the other hand, took 6. Once it's done you take the chicken breasts out, shred them and put them back in the pot. Remove the bay leaf or be sure you don't put it into someone's bowl.

I didn't have stewed tomatoes the last time I made the recipe so I used canned tomatos seasoned with basil and oregano (Italian kind) and it was still good. I couldn't tell a difference. Each serving is around one cup and is 3 points. I would say for me I'd eat two cups but still 6 points for a main meal is great.

My whole family enjoyed this, too! Served with a crunchy baguette (not for me) and a little Parmesan (again not for me) sprinkled on top and it's a great meal for a cold day! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment